Friday 10 September 2010

Micah P. Hinson


In 2004 American singer-songwriter Micah P. Hinson released Micah P. Hinson and the Gospel of Progress, and this is still my absolute all-time favourite album. There's always a risk and usually dissapointment involved when you love an artist's first album so ridiculously much. For me personally his albums since then (The Baby and the Satellite, Micah P. Hinson and the Opera Circuit, Micah P. Hinson and the Red Empire Orchestra, All Dressed Up and Smelling of Strangers and Micah P. Hinson and the Pioneer Saboteurs) have let me down a little. But only a little, because every single one of his album has amazingly good songs, and I still play all of them regularely. There's an undeniable charm to his music, but it's also very intense and emotional. You can hear that he puts his soul into his music and this works really well with his incredible talent as a singer, guitarist and song-writer. (He has also recorded the only Beatles cover ever that I can listen to, they usually make me want to throw my stereo out the window.)

I didn't see him live until 2005 or 2006 I think, it was in London (somewhere in Camden) and it was just him and some guy on mouth organ. I was seriously blown away, because Micah has one of those voices that apparently doesn't record well, live it's even more beautiful and even more powerful. He's also pretty damn charming. For some strange reason I've only seen him live 3 times even though he's been around here more often, but I was always ill or had no money or had another stupid reason. This october he is playing The Netherlands again, in Groningen and Ottersum. Both of these places are reeaally far away from me so I'm afraid I'll probably miss him again but I cannot stress enough how AMAZING this guy is live and how you will NOT regret seeing him. Honest!

Here are some of my favourite songs;

From Micah P. Hinson and the Gospel of Progress:

Stand in My Way


The Day Texas Sank to the Bottom of the Sea (a long one but SO GOOD)

From Micah P. Hinson and the Opera Circuit:

Diggin' A Grave (starts after 15 seconds)


Don't Leave Me Now!

From Micah P. Hinson and the Red Empire Orchestra:

When We Embraced

From Micah P. Hinson and the Pioneer Saboteurs:

2's and 3's

From the Yard of Blonde Girls 7":

Yard of Blonde Girls (Tim Buckley cover)

(Youtube is slightly dissapointing right now as I can't find two of my favourite songs one there; "The Day the Volume Won" and "The Striking Before the Storm". But I uploaded The Striking Before the Storm here.)

1 comment:

  1. All Dressed Up.... is actually one of my favourites of the year so far, especially his Cin-O-Matic cover "Not forever now" is heart-renderingly beautiful. Yet his "proper" records never seem to stick with me. I should see him perform I think.

    ReplyDelete